Sunny Charleston

Sunny Charleston

Saturday, November 29, 2014

The Club I Did Not Want to Join

So the thing about adoption, at least with where we are adopting from, there are all kinds of acronyms and codes. It is like a secret language you don’t understand until you have to start speaking it. Sometimes I still second guess if I am pronouncing ‘dossier’ correctly. Anyway, when we first began this process I heard the term “Century Club”. I didn't understand it, but I knew most families never joined it and those that did join it wanted out of it. I eventually learned it was what people referred to when talking about those that had to wait 100+ days for their LOA (letter of approval that averages around 60 days to get).  I remember thinking how horrible it would be to wait that long – 100+ days. How I felt such sadness for those families and how I was confident I would never be a member of that club.

The last few weeks a lot of families have been getting their approval letters....with a huge number of them waiting far less time than we have waited.  There is no sense to make of it.  I'm doing my best to take my thoughts captive and remember that this mountain will fall one day.  I'd be lying to pretend that watching others speed past us is easy.  It is not, but I am clinging to the hope that God is up to something good.

Today We Joined The Century Club

100 Very long days of waiting 

100 more days spent away from Liam 

My heart breaks and tears are shed.  But instead of sitting around sad I chose to think of 100 things I'm excited about when Liam joins us in his forever home.  And pray like hell that my time in this club is short.  


  1. Snuggling
  2. Morning Smiles
  3. Dressing you in cute clothes
  4. Watching you walk for the first time
  5. Gaining your trust
  6. Doing Crafts with you
  7. Watching Disney Movies
  8. Going on Walks
  9. Watching you and Hannah bond
  10. Introducing you to your ever patient grandparents
  11. Learning your looks
  12. Learning your cries
  13. Teaching you about Jesus
  14. Taking you to the movies
  15. Going to Asheville (mommy's favorite weekend trip)
  16. Getting you "movin" says daddy
  17. Hearing your giggles for the first time
  18. listening to your daddy sing to you.  he has the best voice! 
  19. Waking up to you 
  20. Whispering I love you a million times
  21. Feeling you in my arms for the first time
  22. Watching you sleep
  23. Comforting you when you don't feel well
  24. Diapers - changing them
  25. Taking in the moment you are in my arms
  26. Road trips with you in the back seat
  27. Tracing your face with my finger
  28. Taking lots of pictures with my camera
  29. Introducing you to toys
  30. Helping you find your voice
  31. Playing this little piggy with your toes
  32. Watching your daddy be protective
  33. Watching you feed hannah from your seat in the kitchen
  34. Praying WITH you instead of worlds away
  35. Crawling in the house
  36. Introducing you to new foods
  37. Hearing your footsteps in the house
  38. Playing in your garden
  39. Rocking you to sleep
  40. Tucking you in at night
  41. Helping you to adjust to so many people who love you
  42. Listening from the monitor as you play in your crib
  43. The first time you say "mamma" and it means me
  44. Comforting you as we straighten out your club foot
  45. Seeing a smitten daddy with you in his arms
  46. Saturday mornings in bed as a family
  47. Sunday mornings at church
  48. Carrying you in the ergo carrier
  49. Worshiping with you in my arms
  50. going to bed at night knowing you are full and have been fed
  51. Your smile
  52. Wiping away your tears
  53. bed time stories
  54. running my fingers through your black Mohawk
  55. tickle induced laughs
  56. facetime with your aunts and uncles up north
  57. "porchin" with you and Hannah
  58. Watching the sunsets from our front porch
  59. watching you watching Hannah
  60. teaching you security
  61. showing you safety
  62. Learning what you like
  63. learning what you don't like
  64. celebrating your beauty
  65. teaching about your culture
  66. learning about your culture
  67. knowing your needs are being met
  68. cooking for 3 instead of 2
  69. sippy cups in the kitchen
  70. toys in the playroom
  71. getting a front row seat as you discover a beautiful world
  72. helping you through your transition period
  73. sleepless nights
  74. breathing in your smells
  75. when you are ready, introducing you to our friends
  76. slow days at home as a family of 3
  77. celebrating holidays together
  78. your 2nd birthday and every other one we get to spend together
  79. saying your name in your presence
  80. when you are finally at ease to hug me back
  81. surviving jet lag together
  82. discovering your silly side
  83. Movie nights with 3 on the couch
  84. hiking with you in the ergo
  85. travelling the world 
  86. teaching you about giving back
  87. looking at photos on our wall of you in our arms
  88. discovering your personality
  89. when he time is right taking you to Africa
  90. watching you from across the room
  91. showing you how to write on the chalkboard
  92. golf cart rides at the beach
  93. your first hunt with your daddy
  94. your first football game with your daddy
  95. your first baseball game with your daddy
  96. your daddy teaching you how to play sports
  97. discovering what you enjoy
  98. how happy you'll make your daddy and me
  99. providing for you
  100. one day introducing you to siblings

And the list goes on............................

No comments:

Post a Comment