Sunny Charleston

Sunny Charleston

Friday, February 27, 2015

What Can I do to Always Remember Who I Am?


During quiet time this morning I read this from Mark Nepo:  Most of our searching is looking for ways to discover who we already are.  In this, we are a forgetful species, and perhaps what Adam and Eve lost when kicked out of Eden was their ability to remember what is sacred. 

Thus, we continually run into mountains and rivers, run to the farthest sea, and into the arms of strangers, all to be shaken into remembering.  And some of us lead simple lives, hoping to practice how not to forget.  But part of our journey is this forgetting and this remembering.  It is a special part of what makes us human. 

So what can we do?  Well, it is no secret that slowness remembers and hurry forgets, that softness remembers and hardness forgets; that surrender remembers and fear forgets.  
It is beautifully difficult to remember who we really are.  But we help each other every time we fill the cup of truth and hold each other up after drinking from it. 

I have traveled a good amount and have witnessed some amazing things.  A sunset in Africa, the Cliffs of Moehr in Ireland, a traditional flemnco dance in Spain, Meat Street in China; and today, I am grateful to have experienced one of the great wonders of the world with my best friend.  Someone who will remind me what is sacred when I forget.  Someone who will remind me to slow down and remember the glory and surrender that is/was The Great Wall of China.

Recently my yoga guru spoke about the importance of being.  How, when our breath is captured by something unforgettable and we attach a word such as “beautiful” to it, we take away from the moment by identifying with the mind.  Thus, I will leave you with only photos of the Great Wall of China and only hope that your breath is taken away – because ours certainly was. 
Much Love from China


****Only 2 more sleeps until we meet Liam!  

PS internet is SUPER slow to upload photos....there are plenty more but here is what I could do thus far...... 






5 comments:

  1. Amazing!!!❤️❤️❤️ Counting down with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut butta and JELLY! Def on my bucket list. So excited for u guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words my pal hopey. Thanks for sharing! Thinking of you both and sending lotsa love your way :)

    ReplyDelete