Sunny Charleston

Sunny Charleston

Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Evening of Classes



Last night was such a great night!!

I was signed up by my great pal Leigh-ann to take a piano lesson with legendary John Medeski; piano player for Medeski Martin and Wood. http://www.mmw.net He is amazing and has played with some of the best jazz performers in the world. Needless to say I was intimiated and nervous since I haven't played the keys in a long time. John was very relaxed which helped me to relax and the hour flew by. My main question for him was "How do you just sit down and play whatever cords you want and they just make sense?". He spent the hour teaching me cords and how to play them so they all sound good together. This of course sparked my love for piano and I hope to start playing more putting Medeski's advice to the test.




Following my awesome lesson with John, Ken and I went over to the dance studio for our first private lesson. This was my gift from Ken for my birthday!
I really wanted to find something he and I can do together and enjoy besides golf and football. We both love to dance (although he says he is a better dancer). The lesson was great! We learned the steps to the Shag, Swing, Salsa, Rumba, and Fox Trot. We then stayed for the group session and Megan and Scoots met us there to prep for their wedding. We have a few more lessons left in the package and look forward to the "Practice" sessions where the studio turns down the lights and turns up the music and its basically a dance club!! So excited.



This is a video of the pianist and his band MMW playing at a Masters Class Leigh-Ann organized. They were super talented!



No comments:

Post a Comment