I have been completely and utterly moved by one girl, Katie Davis. Roughly two weeks ago, Jackie from soccer, heard about our mission trip to Uganda. She has actually participated in the same mission and suggested I read "Kisses from Katie". At first it sounded like a great story - little did I know it would begin a change in me....a change to open my heart and allow Jesus to use me as his solider. Katie's story (briefly) goes like this. In 2006 Katie left her cozy home in Tennessee and traveled to Uganda because she had a calling out of high school to teach for the summer. She immediately fell in love with all the kids and knew she needed to come back. A year later she went back to Uganda and basically never left. God laid it on Katie's heart to start a child sponsorship program matching orphaned children who cannot afford schooling to sponsors throughout the world. Today, 6 years later, the program sponsors over 600 children! She became a mother in 08 at the age of 21 to 14 beautiful girls.
One of my favorite quotes from Katie....."People tell me I am brave. People tell me I am strong. People tell me good job. Well here is the truth of it. I am really not that brave, I am not really that strong, and I am not doing anything spectacular. i am just doing what God called to do as a follower of Him. Feed His sheep, do unto the least of His people.
This book has started to prepare me for what my heart will feel while Ken and I are in Uganda. Who know...maybe a visit to Katie will be in our future. I would be honored to meet someone who knows our Father on such a personal level.
What people have to say about the book......
"When you think of what one young woman can accomplish by simply being open to God's call no matter the cost, you begin to ask questions like, Am I really open to God's will for my life? Through Katie's life, we're reminded how God can use ordinary people to do extraordinary things for Him. We simly need to be willing to be used."
"With reckless abandon, Katie Davis followed her heart to care for orphans living in extreme poverty in Uganda. Her stories captivate the reader to take action, join her work, and make the world a better place for children—one by one."
I've been wanting to read this book, but I will move it to the top of my list now. I'm so proud of the work you are allowing God to do in your life. I didn't realize Ken is going with you...awesome! I have a friend who just returned from Uganda. Let me know if you want me to connect the 2 of you. The only thing I ask of you when you make your trip is that you come back home!!! Ha!
ReplyDelete